Bees are incredibly intelligent insects that have been around for millions of years. Here are 10 of the most interesting facts about these creatures.
- Since 1900, the UK has lost 13 species of bee and a further 35 are considered under threat of extinction. (Source)
- It would cost UK farmers £1.8 billion to pollinate their crops without bees (Source)
- Bees fly about 55,000 miles to make just one pound of honey, just to put that into perspective that’s 2.2 times around the world. (Source)
- The average bee will make only 1/12th of a teaspoon of honey in it’s lifetime. (Source)
- Bees use the “waggle dance” to tell each other about the direction and location of food sources in relation to the sun. (Source)
- One-third of the food we eat is made possible by bees’ pollination. (Source)
- Honey bees collect nectar from two million flowers to make just one pound of honey. (Source)
- Honey bees have been producing honey in the same way for 150 million years. That’s a lot longer than the human existence! (Source)
- The honey bee has five eyes. (Source)
- Bees are totally red blind. (Source)
For simple ideas on how to save the bees, read our guide.
In the mood to plant wildflowers? Here’s the best plants and flowers to help create new habitats and attract bees.